Janna's Italian roasted turkey with tapenade rub
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups pitted Kalamata olives
- Generous pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for rubbing
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon plus 2 lemons for stuffing
- 1 (12-pound) turkey, excess fat trimmed, rinsed, patted dry
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, halved, cut into wedges
Write your Step Header
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
In a food processor, combine garlic, olives, basil, oregano, rosemary, red pepper, lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper and oil. Blend into a paste.
Slice the remaining two lemons into wedges.
Stuff the Turkey
Place turkey breast side up in a roasting pan on a roasting rack. Slip your fingers underneath the skin at the breast to separate the skin from the flesh. Rub olive paste underneath skin onto the flesh. Stuff lemon and onion wedges underneath the skin and inside the cavity of the turkey.
Rub the outside of the turkey skin with olive oil. Cover turkey and roasting pan in foil and roast for 30 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 325 degrees F. and continue to roast for 2-1/2 hours. Remove foil and continue to roast for 30 minutes or until an instant read thermometer inserted in a thigh (but not touching the bone) registers 165 degrees F.
Let turkey sit for 15 minutes before carving.